How You Can Get Involved
Explore our programs below. Contact us to get involved!
Using a discovery process, volunteers facilitate a simple Bible Study with people who are spiritually open, willing to meet, and ready to gather a small group of family or friends. It is obedience focused, discovery based, and Scripture centered. Each time the group meets, they ask 7 core questions, including “What does God say?” and “What will you do about it?”
If you would like to learn more about starting Discovery Groups, please contact Steve.
Discovery Group Questions (English)
- What are you thankful for?
- What is the biggest challenge you are facing today?
- Is there someone we can help or encourage?
- How did you do with what you learned last week?
- What does God say?
- Read selected Bible passage aloud (in 2 different versions if available)
- Have someone re-tell the passage in their own words
- Ask the group what else they have to add (“What caught your attention?”)
- “What does it say about God?”
- “What does it say about people?”
- “What does it say about God’s plan for us?”
- What will you do about it? (How will you apply it this week?) “I will…”
- Who will you share it with? (To tell someone what you are learning)
Preguntas de Discovery Group
- ¿De qué estas agradecido?
- ¿Cuál es el mayor desafío al que se enfrenta hoy?
- ¿Hay alguien a quien podamos ayudar o animar?
- ¿Cómo te fue con lo que aprendiste la semana pasada?
- ¿Qué dice Dios?
- Leer el pasaje de la Biblia seleccionado en voz alta (en 2 versiones diferentes si están disponibles)
- Haga que alguien vuelva a contar el pasaje con sus propias palabras.
- Pregunte al grupo qué más tienen que agregar (“¿Qué llamó su atención?”)
- “¿Qué dice acerca de Dios?”
- “¿Qué dice sobre la gente?”
- “¿Qué dice sobre el plan de Dios para nosotros?”
- ¿Qué vas a hacer al respecto? (¿Cómo lo aplicará esta semana?) “Lo haré …”
- ¿Con quién lo compartirás? (Para decirle a alguien lo que está aprendiendo)
Depending on God
The desire of Mission Southside is to bathe everything we do in prayer. Prayer calls upon God to do what we cannot do. God wants to do exceedingly abundantly more than we could ever expect or imagine. Prayer says to God that our trust is in Him. If we pray according to His will then He promises to hear our prayer. The Bible makes it clear that using His people and His resources to meet the needs of those who feel forgotten or alone are an important part of God’s will.
If you would like to volunteer to pray consistently for Mission Southside, please contact Steve.
Specific ways that you can pray for the ministry of Mission Southside:
- Pray for the leadership of Mission Southside that they might see and use the opportunities that God has placed before them to further His kingdom.
- Pray for volunteers who donate time, money, and material goods to Mission Southside that they might give generously with cheerful hearts and that they will be blessed through their service to the community.
- Pray for more Site Team volunteers, and for those that are serving on a Site Team to be effective in extending Help through Hope, and to be strong in the Lord and His mighty power.
- Pray for those receiving donations and participating in Discovery Groups and other programs that they might experience God’s love in a personal way and might come to know and follow Christ.
Service and Discovery
Service and Discovery is a group of 40-45 middle and high school kids from the communities we have site teams in, who come together twice a month to focus on God’s word and putting it into action. They meet every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month.
Youth Mentors – Serve as a mentor to disciple a middle or high school student. Participate in group activities during Service and Discovery and on the off weeks maintain contact with the student.
Sports are something most of us enjoy participating in and/or watching. Many of the kids we serve do not have the opportunity to participate at the club level, let alone recreational. For many, the first time they pick up a volleyball or basketball is in Middle School.
The Mission Southside Sports Nights are Tuesdays in June and July, from 6:30-8:00 p.m. They are held at our Ministry Center located at 414 E Dennis Ave. Kids are given the opportunity to play volleyball, basketball, soccer, baseball and football. We share a meal and a devotion or testimony. The whole family is encouraged to attend. Are you interested in helping kids with sports skills or even sharing a testimony?
With the educational challenges virtual and hybrid school schedules have created, many of the kids we serve have a need for help navigating their studies. Wednesdays from 4:30-6:00 p.m. we provide tutoring to middle and high school students at 514 S Kansas Avenue. We have a sign up for kids from the sites we serve to insure social distancing occurs within the building.
Are you interested in helping in a specific area?
Site teams are groups of volunteers who are committed to relationship with a specific apartment or mobile home community with the residents who live there. TOGETHER the leaders in the community and the volunteers navigate life together.
Our language goal is that the students will become more proficient in the “second” language by engaging in relationships with native speakers.
Our language classes are built on relationships and the social aspect of learning another language. We believe that language proficiency is acquired more through social activity than through the traditional academic classroom. For our students to become fluent, they need to engage in relationships, conversations, and activities where the new language will be spoken. Our classes give the students this opportunity. We complement academic classes, but do not take the place of them.
Each student in our classrooms has a language partner who is a native speaker. The classes are informal. We do not test students to place them in a class or a level. They can choose with our guidance. These classes are free to our site team participants with a ten-dollar suggested donation to help with the cost of books and/or supplies.
Tuesday Evenings 6:30 to 8:00 pm (January 19th through March 9th)
Location: Mission Southside 514 S. Kansas Ave. Olathe, KS 66061
English Beginning and Level 1
A bilingual teacher uses both English and Spanish in this classroom.
Each student has a language partner who is a native-English speaker. The teacher uses the All-Star curriculum and Oxford Picture Dictionary to guide the language partner and student through the lessons. The student is encouraged to practice outside the classroom in order to improve and maintain what is taught in class. This class emphasizes vocabulary and speaking and listening skills. *If the language partner wants to learn Spanish, this is not the class for him/her; instead, the language partner should take the Spanish class.
The teacher uses English in the classroom. Each student has a language partner who is a native-English speaker. The teacher opens the class with an activity or discussion. After the introduction, the language partner teaches the student using the provided lesson guides and the All-Star books and Oxford Picture Dictionary. The lesson encourages and emphasizes conversation about the unit of study.
Wednesday Mornings 9:00 to 11:00 am (January 20th through March 10th)
Location: Zoom Class
English Multi-Levels (Women Only)
The teacher uses English in the classroom. Each student has a language partner who is a native-English speaker. The teacher opens the class with an activity or discussion. After the introduction, the individual language partners will be in breakout rooms as guided by the lead teacher.
*This class gives opportunity for women from other countries to build relationships with other women who are native-English speakers, and to practice conversation.
Monday Evenings 6:30 to 8:00 pm (January 18th through March 8th)
Location: Mission Southside 514 S. Kansas Ave. Olathe, KS 66061
Introduction to Spanish
The teachers speak both English and Spanish in the classroom and are native Spanish speakers. If you are interested in this class, try to find a native-Spanish speaker from your site to be your language partner. Because of Covid-19, this is not a requirement this semester.
How do I sign-up for a class? Email Darla at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for a language class.
The annual Christmas Store is an opportunity for families to shop for gifts for their children during a time that is financially challenging. They receive gifts, food, and other items to help bless them this season. They also receive the hope of Jesus through a time of prayer with individuals.